Many people are under the misconception that in order to boost metabolism and lose weight you have to diet. Well my dear friends, to me, DIET is the other four-letter word and should be completely removed from your vocabulary. So is it possible to boost your metabolism without four-letter wording yourself? Yes, it sure is!
Now let me start of by saying some of my tips might make you serial dieters feel a little uncomfortable, but I want you to go into this with an open mind. You diet, workout long hours and feel exhausted or even take diet pills. But there are some actions you can take that really work, without you having to do these crazy things. I don’t know about you, but as I’ve gotten older, I feel like my body has totally let me down. And I’ll be totally honest with you… I have dieted. And let me tell you, it’s one of the worst things you can do for your metabolism.
What are causes for a low metabolism?
· A low calorie diet
· Snacking too often throughout the day
· Eating or drinking too much sugar-containing foods
· Lack of physical activity
· Under-active thyroid
So my goal is to help you reset your body and boost your metabolism WITHOUT dieting. However, in order to do so, you must follow ten sacred commandments that I shall now impart unto you. Use them wisely!
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS TO BOOST YOUR METABOLISM:
1. STOP DIETING: Listen … when you restrict calories, you do lose weight, but you also lose muscle! Your body’s job is to adapt, so when you first start to restrict, you lose a lot of weight. But if you continue to restrict, the body adapts by holding on to everything you put into it and burning less calories! Rather than dieting, you should be eating a diet that is high in macro-nutrients (protein, healthy fats, and healthy complex carbohydrates).
2. YOU NEED MUSCLE: Muscle is what you need to burn fat and calories. Muscle is what helps our bodies stay young! Muscle takes up much less space than fat — and NO you won’t look like the hulk if you lift weights. If you are serious about losing weight, you should be lifting a minimum of three to four days a week. The key here is using light weights and doing more repetitions or, my favorite, body-weight training.
3. KNOW YOUR NUMBERS: The average person is underestimating what they’re consuming and overestimating what they’re burning. So figure out what the right ratio is for your diet. You’ve got to eat the right amount of fats, proteins, and carbs! In order to determine how many calories you should be consuming in a day to reach your goal, try this great online calculator: http://www.acaloriecalculator.com/
And in order to keep yourself on track with your goals, My Fitness Pal is a wonderful way to monitor your daily progress. www.myfitnesspal.com
4. EAT MORE PROTEIN: Protein takes a lot of work to digest in your system and, in the process, it helps build muscles, which burn fat. The digestion of protein also stimulates fat burn and boosts metabolism. Add clean and lean sources of protein to every meal and snack you have. No need to go crazy on the size, since even a little will go a long way.
5. TRY COCONUT OIL: Scientists say that coconut oil and coconut butter help you lose weight and boost your metabolism. They even eliminate sugar crash, which is a big enemy when dieting. Plus, the coconut oil gives you a lot of energy and improves your mood. I LOVE adding a tablespoon to my after-workout protein shake. It makes it taste delish!
6. EAT MORE LEAFY GREENS: Leafy greens are needed by your body to keep it clean. Also they contain magnesium (besides vitamins) which definitely will boost your metabolism. If your body has enough magnesium, you will sleep better, have enough energy for all day long, and get rid of depression. To be sure your leafy greens are a good source of magnesium, you must buy organic greens. Don’t forget that they are low in calories and at the same time fill you up and satisfy you.
7. SLEEP 7-8 HOURS A NIGHT: You can’t boost your metabolism without a normal sleep. And by normal, I mean at least 7-8 hours of sleep. Your body needs it to repair your muscles and even burn some fats. Ya’ll (no, I am not from Texas) have heard how stress makes you gain weight? Well, not enough sleep causes stress and only amplifies an already stressful life. So make sure to get your Zs!
8. STOP EATING PROCESSED FOODS: I think this point doesn’t need more explanation, because everyone knows that processed food is a big fat NO-NO! So, if you want to boost your metabolism, make this big step and get rid of processed food. Turn away from the dark side!
9. DO YOUR WORKOUT IN THE MORNING: This is a proven fact: people who work out in the morning have a higher metabolism than those who work out later in the evening. And this is because you wake up with your body rested and it’s like your body says, “hey, I’m fresh and ready to go… let’s do this, baby!” Another reason why morning workouts will boost your metabolism is that your body will have less food to bog it down.
10. LOAD UP ON WATER: Last, but not least … water. And this needs to be the cardinal rule for boosting your metabolism! A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that drinking water (about 17oz) increases metabolic rate by 30 percent in healthy men and women. The boost occurred within 10 minutes, but peaked 30-40 minutes after drinking. Studies also suggest that drinking one or two glasses of water before a meal can fill you up so you naturally eat less, says Andrea N. Giancoli, MPH, RD spokesperson for The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Plus, even mild dehydration will slow down metabolism by as much as three percent. Drinking water also naturally cleanses your body of nasty toxins and gunk. So say a toast and cheers to H20!